It is very difficult to predict, especially the future. But still we all keep trying. While I’ve been wrong a number of times, I’ve had my share of successes. In the last century I was unable record my spot on predictions, but now thanks to social media and blogging, it’s quite easy to do so and verify later.
So here’s looking at 60 of my predictions-conjectures-premises that came true-stood the test of time…
Just click on the date next to the prediction and the relevant Column-Blog-Tweet will open in another tab.
1. BJP would be about 300 and NDA about 360 in the general elections
6 April, 2019
2. BJP could get the highest number of seats in every region
21 May 2019
3. The NDA vote count could be 250 million plus
17 May, 2019
4. BJP would be the single largest party in these States
9 April, 2019
5. I predicted a Modi landslide in 2018 itself…
22 July, 2018
6. Even before the 2019 polls I said it would be a great year for Modi… 10 reasons…
30 April, 2019
7. 2019 would be a Modi tsunami as against a 2014 wave
8 March, 2019
4 April, 2019
8. In 2015 itself I had said that Trump Haters could well end making him US President
14 December, 2015
9. I said early on Hillary would never be US President…
1 January, 2016
10. Trump would win because he had more Twitter followers than Hillary
1 April, 2016
30 June, 2016
11. I called him a Trump card even before the Republican primaries concluded… 10 reasons…
19 March, 2016
12. I said Trump would rise and win and surprise in 2016 much the way Modi did in 2014
28 January, 2016
13. Trump may win because he’s less hated than Hillary
7 June, 2016
14. Shah Rukh Khan’s superstar career would end with Dilwale
4 January, 2016
15. Fan and Raees would not be genuine blockbusters
9 January, 2016
16. SRK’s continued alienation of Bollywood fans wouldn’t go down well…
15, October 2016
Bonus: Multiplex would be the new superstar
03 May, 2016
17. 2011—Why India will win the World Cup
5 March, 2011
18. A Kovind type dark horse would be India President
31 March, 2016
19. Smriti Irani would bounce back despite losing HRD (2016)
8 July, 2016
20. AAP would perform poorly in the 2014 Lok Sabha polls…
9 January, 2014
21. …but AAP could make a comeback in the Assembly despite the above…
26 February, 2014
22. …and AAP would implode in the long run…
AAP won’t survive: 14 April, 2014
7 AAP contradictions: 26 February, 2014
AAP under siege: 22 April, 2014
Kejri is afraid: 19 May, 2014
7 Kejri myths: 31 December, 2013
23. 2016—Mrs Vadra would fail if she entered politics
13 May, 2016
24. 2014—Mrs Vadra may not even contest an election
28 April, 2014
25. Modi would do nothing for Ram Mandir in his first term
30 November, 2015
26. 2011—Modi can still be PM
At that time very few people gave him a chance
19 September, 2011
27. Modi is actually a great unifier (2014)
Time magazine called him a divider before the 2019 polls and a unifier after it
26 April, 2014
Modi’s 7 unifying themes: 16 February, 2016
28. 2013—Only Modi could save the BJP
The party was in a really bad shape at that point of time
9 January, 2013
Bonus: Why I support Modi (Despite the opposition)—2013
21 June, 2013
29. DeMo wouldn’t dent Modi and he was in it for the long haul
11 March, 2017
18 November, 2016
10 long-term goals of DeMo: 22 December, 2016
Why you shouldn’t complain about DeMo: 11 November, 2016
25 great Demo Stories: 2 December, 2016
Bonus—Confessions of someone totally unaffected by demonetization: 20 November, 2016
30. 2016—Kanhaiya would fail big
4 March, 2016
2 May, 2016
31. Shortly after he took over, I said Trump would be a great effective disruptor
5 March, 2017
32. I said Trump was undergoing a Rajyog and hence unbeatable
29 December, 2017
33. 2017—US Trump-Russia collusion is a big hoax, Mueller was dead in the water
30 June, 2017
8 shifting goalposts of the Mueller probe: 24 April, 2019
34. 2017—Star Wars was crashing
23 December, 2017
But the problem started with Episode 7: 26 April, 2019
35. 2005—Kodak on road to bankruptcy
Finally happened in 2012
36. 2016—Global Right will keep rising
January 2016, Updated
2013—India’s Rightward journey
19 February, 2013
37. 2014—Pappu would be effectively last of his dynasty
31 May, 2014
38. Congress peaked in 2018
19 March, 2019
How the Congress keeps sabotaging itself, updated after the 2019 loss: 24 November, 2018, Updated
39. Modi would make a comeback after the 2015 Delhi-Bihar losses
9 November, 2015
Modi bounced back after his Annus Horribilis 2018 too
2017—Modi undergoing Rajyog
June 2016, Updated
40. Decline of US mainstream media post-Trump
15 December, 2015
41. 2014—Mamata would destroy West Bengal
3 July, 2014
Terror musings: 27 October, 2014
7 Mamata flop shows: 22 November, 2012
42. 2015—IPL owners’ curse…
…after which Mallya had to flee, SRK’s fortunes declined, Wadia arrested
4 April, 2015
43. IPL Icons were unlucky. Dravid, Yuvi Sehwag never won.
MI, KKR and DC won after Sachin, Dada and Laxman left. Dhoni was never officially an icon!
10 March, 2010
44. 2014—Rise of Yogi
11 September, 2014
45. 2014—The 2019 BJP monopoly
4 November, 2014
46. Kejriwal’s New Delhi Odd Even policy would fail
9 December, 2015
47. 2016—Djoko could get a calendar Grand Slam that year
5 June, 2016
Can Djoko be the greatest? 16 July 2018, Updated
48. After 2014, Congress never really had a chance
May 17, 2014
22 December, 2014
2 May, 2016
49. Even a Modi spoof on why he personally didn’t direct any arrests from 2014-19
17 July, 2016
50. 2014—BJP could get Maharashtra
26 September, 2014
51. 2015—Nothing would come of the Essar leaks
4 March, 2015
52. 2016—Sidhu is always unpredictable
27 July, 2016
53. 2015—Porn ban is impossible
7 August, 2015
54. 2015—Anna a spent force and now irrelevant
21 February, 2015
55. 2014—Aamir wasn’t done yet at the box office
31 January, 2014
Bonus on Aamir: 5 January, 2015
3 January, 2017
56. 2013—We can never hang on to our fast bowlers, still the story today!
11 March, 2013
57. 2005—CGI would continue to rule Hollywood
20 September, 2005
58. 2014—Why Kohli may one day be the greatest ever
7 April, 2014
59. 1991—USSR-Russia had been alternating between a hardliner and reformist.
Then reformist Yelstin was in charge and it was natural for a hardliner (Putin to follow), who faced great opposition, but subdued it.
31 July, 1991
60. 2005—Cyber activism here to stay
August 8, 2005
Our social media decade: 10 May 2014
1948-92, India won just one individual medal.
I wrote this limerick after India’s debacle at the 1992 Barcelona Olympics where we drew a blank for the umpteenth time.
India has won at least one individual medal in each and every Olympics after that…
17 August, 1992
Now here are my 10 future predictions!!!
In the early 1980s, my biggest prediction was that the Communist regime would collapse in the USSR. I don’t know if any of my friends remember. However when it finally happened I was so shocked by the sudden coming down of the Berlin Wall and overnight collapse of most global Communist regimes and the unprecedented way it panned out, that I put it in 15 things I never thought could happen as a kid anyway. So even if we get a prediction right, we may be surprised by its suddenness and unpredicted consequences. So one’s prediction may not seem like a prediction at all!
Before the 2014 Indian central ministers’ swearing in ceremony I remarked that Amit Shah would be Home Minister only in 2019, though alas I didn’t put that down in writing at the time.
So here are some things I am putting down in cyberspace…
Note: If they all go wrong, then I still have the above.
If most of them get right, then… Should I call myself a modern day Nostradamus?
1. 2020: Trump will get a near landslide and win the Senate too and totally turn the Supreme Court conservative after that.
If this happens he would be the greatest US President ever.
2. 2024: If everything goes wrong for Modi, he will still win, but if everything goes right, then BJP 350+ and NDA 400+.
He will fix Pakistan and Kashmir once and for all.
After 2024 Modi will be declared the greatest Indian post-1947.
3. China will collapse the way USSR went down.
So in the long run India will be more powerful!
4. Global Right parties will generally continue to dominate the 2020s.
5. The following are facing a meltdown…
Indian Congress, US Democrats, UK Conservatives and EU.
6. The Leftist Climate Change debate (not Climate Change itself) will totally unravel in the 2020s.
Fossil fuels are irreplaceable in the coming decades and only nuclear energy can be a strong No. 2. That’s also why electric cars will never cross a certain threshold.
7. We may see another tech market crash due to the raw immense power of the global tech giants and their clashes with various governments and organizations like the EU. Anti-trust also an issue.
Geeks and hackers may try to build a Second Internet.
8. Federer could be surpassed by Djoko.
9. Pakistan could face collapse in the 2020s.
10. The Origin of Species could be superseded by something like Microcosmos by Lynn Margulis, which came out way back in 1997.
Bonus: In the future, every human may have access to a small supercomputer and a personal big power source. At that time a single universal blockchain cryptocurrency might become an inevitability. Till then Bitcoin is at the mercy of legislation. If all the countries ban Bitcoin, then it could become a powerful black currency. If all the countries officially recognize it, it could soar.
Report card of the predictions made on June 7, 2019…
Prediction 1: Totally busted!!!
But if an old distracted bumbling politician who draws crowds of dozens can beat an active charismatic politician who draws thousands of lively supporters, then I will have to rethink how people elect their leaders in this new world. In November 2020 it seemed that Republicans had taken control of the Senate, but things changed drastically in January 2021.
(Trump soon after this was written made the Supreme Court majority 6-3 and didn’t have to get re-elected for that at least.)
Modi did indeed scrap Article 370 and 35-A and is on course for 2024.
China may decline post-Covid, but the jury is still out on that one.
Pakistan’s implosion is being clearly seen into the 2020s.
This 18 December, 2018 blog also foretells why people the Global Establishment hate, like UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson, come to power in the first place as also the fall of Palestine. 21 November, 2018
20 things nobody would have thought possible at the beginning of this mad crazy decade…