1. A non-Nehru descendant completing a five-year-term as Prime Minister and actually getting re-elected after that!
- Jai Ho!
2. Pakistan cricket becoming irrelevant in the world and India.
- Arre baba, IPL ka matlab Indo-Pak League nahin hain.
3. A mobile phone becoming one of the most common of devices.
- Mere paas Star Trek ka kam se kam ek device to hain!
4. An Indian picking up two Oscars on one night for Bollywood songs in a Hinglish movie.
- Jai Ho again!
5. Prabhakaran actually getting shot and killed without a fight.
- Do tigers just roll over and die?
6. No years of waiting for scooter, gas, phone,…
- Instant ka zamana aa gaya hain, aur bahut accha hain.
7. A Western type lifestyle and roads jampacked with cars.
- Watch an old Hindi flick, roads look so empty and only the hero is so well-dressed and educated.
8. A non-Russian becoming the World Chess Champion and that too an Indian to boot.
- Vishwanathan: Jaisa naam, waisa kaam.
9. An African American getting elected to the White House.
- Now that’s Change we all can believe in!
10. Coalition governments actually lasting in India.
- NDA doesn’t just mean National Defence Academy and UPA is here to stay.
11. Indians buying out top world companies.
- Mittal and Tata: What an appetite!
12. India becoming an IT powerhouse.
- When will Microsoft be toppled? Maybe the answer lies with India.
13. Veerappan getting caught and killed.
- Sandalwood? That’s the Kannada film industry.
14. The Berlin Wall crumbling. Communism falling. Russia becoming almost irrelevant in world politics.
- One world. One Germany. No USSR.
15. A Governor of Indian origin getting elected in a US state. Indian origin CEOs worldwide.
- So there is such a thing as Indian leadership after all (But currently only outside India).
And 15 Things I’m still waiting for…
1. Toppers and professionals outnumbering criminals in Parliament.
- “Hi! I’m an IIT Gold Medallist and Politics is my first choice!”
2. The Kashmir dispute getting solved.
- The Indian and Pak heads of states walked into the sunset saying, “I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.”
3. India becoming No. 1 in Tests and actually staying there for a few years.
- “First it was the Windies. Then the Aussies. Now these mean Indians!”
4. India producing the fastest bowler in the world.
- “Aur isike ke saath Lucky Singh ne 100mph ka barrier cheer ke rakh diya!”
5. India playing in a Football World Cup.
- “India scores the decisive goal against Argentina and enters the quarter finals!”
6. An Indian company wholly producing a Windows or iPod type of product.
- Hail India, the new powerhouse of patents.
7. America playing cricket and India playing baseball.
- Slamdog Millionaire!
8. India becoming an economic, military or cultural superpower ahead of America.
- China door raho, tum hamse takkar nahin le sakte.
9. India making it to the list of 10 least corrupt nations on the Transperency International list.
- Corruption, woh kis chidiya ka naam hain?
10. A Bollywood production which makes $250 million in the US box office
- Farhan Akhtar? Abhay Deol? Anurag Kashyap? Abhi-Ash ke beta/beti?
11. The extinction of farmer suicides and local blood-sucking moneylenders
- Article in Economist: The Indian farmer is now a model to the world
12. India 100% electrified along with a pukka road and school in every village.
- Elections 2030. Bijli, sadak aur paani to aa gaya, ab mudda kya hain?
13. The entire MiG-21 fleet to be grounded and replaced by the latest fighter jets.
- F-22s anyone?
14. Dalai Lama returning gracefully to a Free Tibet.
- Tibeti-Chini bhai bhai.
15. Communism getting totally wiped out in West Bengal and Kerala and the states becoming the economic powerhouses of India.
- In Kolkata and Thiruvananthapuram, they have something that’s called Communist Museums.
Ek eighties ke schoolkid ke nazariya se dekho to ab India main kuch bhi ho sakta hain!
© Sunil Rajguru